Breaking
News...
There's lots of fun and learning going on
in room 207. Our main focus in these
first weeks of school are things like learning everyone's name, how to greet,
where everything is located, appropriate times for various activities, expectations,
etc. At the beginning of the year we go
slow in order to go fast later.
Academic
Highlight
In light of talking about expectations, we
read the book, Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle. It's a simple children's book with an
expected theme that some might describe as, "Be nice." When I first came across this book a number
of years ago, I was surprised at the deep discussions I could have with my
classes about what it says about how people treat each other and what we would
like to be true in our classroom.
Here's a picture of the sticky notes your
kids made to indicate whom they would like to have as a classmate in our
classroom (Little Blue Truck, Animals, or Big Yellow Truck).
Later, we discussed as a whole group how
the characters treated each other. We
talked about the evidence that someone was nice or not nice to another
character. Here's a picture of how we
summarized that information.
You can ask your child which character(s)
they would like to have as a classmate. They may have changed their mind after our discussion.
On Friday afternoon I asked the kids how
they might describe the first few days of second grade, here's what they said.
"Super fun, terrifyingly hard (the first day), different--when we go to recess, very confusing (getting use to everything), a lot of explaining, super easy, first day I was very shy--then I got use to it" (many "me too's" for this last one). Sometimes we forget how hard new situations can be, your kids are handling it well and are learning the second grade routines.
Here are some pictures of what kids were doing during our Friday Choice time.
Enjoy
the long weekend!
Caren
No comments:
Post a Comment